Though the move to a new country might seem a great experience, many expatriates have a hard time adjusting emotionally to their life abroad. During the adaptation process you may suffer from cultural transition stress.
Some symptoms of cultural transition stress:
- anxiety, confusion;
- loss of self-confidence, insecurity;
- annoyance and irritability;
- mood swings;
- unexplainable crying;
- loss of ability to work or study effectively;
- sleeping problems, incl. insomnia or a need for excessive sleep;
- overeating or loss of appetite;
- aches and pain, feeling sick;
- preoccupation with cleanliness;
- withdrawal from people who are different from you.